To work with the Aged Care Services Manager, Registered Nurse, Clinical Care Coordinators and other Care Service Employees to provide the highest quality care in a home like environment to residents of Allawah Lodge.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide care to each individual resident as per their care plan.
- Provide supervision or physical assistance to residents with personal care. This includes prompt answering of nurse call system; providing assistance with showering, toileting, dressing and undressing, application of moisturisers to the body, application of compression garments, prompting or physically feeding residents, administering treatments as ordered by health professionals and as documented in the care plan.
- Prompt or physically assist residents with personal grooming; cleaning teeth/dentures, brushing hair, applying make-up, shaving males and females and filing nails as documented in care plan.
- Assist and support residents with medication, utilising dose administration aids. Administration of medications as per the Medication administration guidelines.
- Collection of urine or faecal specimens as required.
- Attend to routine urinalysis, blood pressure, temperature and pulse checks; blood sugar level checks and oxygen saturation.
- Assist and support residents with Oxygen therapy and nebuliser equipment.
- Assist and support diabetic residents with management of their insulin and diet, recognising signs of hypo and hyper- Glycaemia.
- Undertake simple wound dressings and complete documentation as required
- Implement of continence programs as identified by care plans, including stoma and catheter care
- Performs pressure area care
- Provide palliative care respectful of the resident and/or their families wishes
- Use appropriate strategies to care for residents; with dementia, physically and verbally aggressive behaviours, cognitive and sensory deficits, anxiety and depressive symptoms, sexually inappropriate behaviours and other behaviours which impact on health and wellbeing.
- Recognise, report and respond appropriately to changes in the condition of residents within your skills and competence and the policies and procedures of the organisation e.g. not eating or drinking, unusual urination, bowel irregularities, changes in attitude/behaviour or cognition, temperature, respiration rate etc
- Ensuring that appropriate means are used to enable the resident to understand and be understood.
- Attend compulsory staff meetings and in-service sessions.
- Complete relevant documentation in relation to duties performed and records of attendance.
- Assist in development and implementation of resident Care Plans.
- Assist in the development and implementation of programs of activities for residents wonder the supervisor of the Activities officer
- Participating in assigned quality assurance activities.
- Complete required documentation in a timely manner.
- Perform general housekeeping duties to ensure infection control. These include; making beds and changing, if soiled;
- Follow infection control procedures to ensure residents rooms are free of soiled linen, clothes and continence aids.
- Assist with basic meal preparation and serving, setting up tables and clearing away of meals.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Genuine empathy for the elderly
- Customer service focus
- Ability and willingness to complete the full range of shifts on the roster, including nightshifts and weekend work.
- Work individually or in a team environment under general supervision and be responsible for the quality of your own
- Compliance with documentation requirements as determined by the employer
- Numeracy and literacy skills to Year 10 level
- Commitment to continuous improvement and professional development
- Good communication and public relations skills
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to workplace change
- Ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality in all Council's operations and resident information.
- High level of personal presentation and hygiene.
- Enrolled in, partially completed or completed or Certificate III in Aged Care or higher
- Calm and patient, honest and respectful
- Ability to complete duties within a given timeframe.
- Current class C drivers licence
- Current First Aid Certificate
Responsible to: Aged Care Services Manager
Supervision of: Nil
- Allawah Lodge Supervisory Staff
- Medical Practitioners
- Residents’ guests and family
- Councillors (if required)
- All Staff as applicable
EXTENT OF AUTHORITY
Answerable to Aged Care Services Manager and after initial training, expected to work with minimal supervision. All purchases orders need approval by relevant staff.
WORK HEALTH & SAFETY & RISK MANAGEMENT
Coolamon Shire Council takes a proactive approach to Risk Management to ensure continuous improvement in reducing accidents and injuries in the workplace.
Coolamon shire Council has a responsibility to provide a safe and health workplace and employees have a responsibility to co-operate with Council’s policies and procedures to ensure that the workplace is safe and healthy.
Employees are to report to their supervisor all acts or conditions that they consider to be unsafe, keep the workplace safe as far as their responsibility permits and follow safe work method statements.
Employees are required to:
- Take reasonable care, whilst at work, for the health and safety of others in the workplace
- Cooperate with Council and other nominated officers so far as is necessary to enable compliance with Work Health & Safety Act 2011 and Regulations 2011
- Be pro-active in the reporting of workplace hazards and assessing and controlling associated risks by utilising Council’s WH&S Risk Management system
- To ensure a safe workplace is maintained by complying with other safe systems of work requirements.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Coolamon Shire Council is committed to the development and implementation of it’s Equal Employment Opportunity Management Plan which is designed to develop a more creative and skilled workforce to provide better services to the community.
Coolamon Shire Council’s employment and selection decisions are based on merit in accordance with EEO guidelines and legislation.
Council is committed to eliminating and ensuring the absence of discrimination and harassment in the workplace. Employees must no harass, discriminate or support others who harass or discriminate against colleagues or members of the public.
COUNCILS POLICIES, MANAGEMENT GUIDELINS AND PROCEDURES
Employees are required to comply with Council Policies, Management Guidelines and Procedures.
CODE OF CONDUCT
It is important that all employees act in a manner that enhances community confidence in Council. Whilst on duty, employees are to give the whole of their time and attention to the business of Council. Employees are required to carry out their duties conscientiously, honestly, fairly and impartially. Employees are required to comply with Council’s Code of Conduct at all times.