Stretton State College is looking for high quality applicants to be considered for the role of Head of Department at Stretton State College. In this role, you will be responsible for all aspects of the Stretton State College Instrumental Music Program (years 4 - 12), working in collaboration with the Head of the Arts and other school leaders. The successful applicant will significantly contribute to the high expectations of the school culture that promotes instrumental music. This will be delivered through expert knowledge of instrumental music to deliver high quality musical outcomes. If this sounds like the perfect role for you, apply today!
Position status Permanent
Position type Full-time
Occupational group Education & Training
Classification Stream 2 /HO1
Workplace Location Brisbane - South
Job ad reference QLD/MER386681/21P
Closing date 26-Sep-2021
Yearly salary $118045 - $124001
Fortnightly salary $4524.70 - $4752.90
Contact person Brad Stewart
Contact details (07) 3723 0222
Access the National Relay Service
About the Role:
The HOD of Instrumental Music will be expected to:
- Provide dynamic leadership that determines the overall program and direction of Instrumental Music at the College in collaboration with the Executive Principal and/or their delegates.
- Contribute to the College leadership through active participation and effective collaboration.
- Oversee all aspects of Instrumental Music and Ensemble programs and provide leadership and management of all Instrumental Music staff.
- Promote, facilitate and participate in professional development of self and others.
- Promote positive musical outcomes through a strong understanding of rehearsal pedagogy, including the selection and preparation of appropriate repertoire.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of conducting and directing ensembles at a high level that promotes positive musical outcomes.
- Lead, direct and assist in the organisation and implementation of IM activities, which may include school-based performances, community performances, lunchtime concerts, camps, tours, festivals, and awards nights.
- Promote Instrumental Music activities within the school community as well as within the local, national, and international communities.
- Promote the Instrumental Music Department internally and externally by actively seeking and forming partnerships with community groups, local businesses, arts industry and tertiary institutions, and other government agencies to promote and further the goals of the instrumental music program.
- Coordinate the timetabling of Instrumental lessons and rehearsals for the various ensembles and performance platforms.
- Coordinate the recruitment process of new students to the program, as well as monitoring and reviewing the progress of all Instrumental Music students.
- Oversee the selection of students into appropriate ensembles.
- Manage financial and material resources within the area of responsibility including the formation of budgets and expenditure of allocated funds in consultation with the Executive Principal and/or their delegates.
- Consult and liaise with classroom music specialists, both primary and secondary, and Performing Arts staff to build a culture of collaboration across the Arts.
- Regularly communicate with all College stakeholders.
The successful candidate will have:
- A proven record of successful leadership experience in a similar position
- Highly relevant instrumental teaching experience
- Highly relevant IM experience incorporating Performance and Conducting
- Up to date knowledge of successful and innovative IM teaching and the latest developments and initiatives
- High levels of personal and professional integrity
- Possess the ability to lead, inspire, motivate and support IM students and colleagues.
- Personal warmth to gain the confidence of pupils, staff and parents and build positive rapport with the student community
- Current full registration or current provisional registration with eligibility for full registration, as a teacher in Queensland.
- Teachers working in Education and Care Services (including State Delivered Kindergarten programs) require an exemption card issued by Blue Card Services.
To apply please attach the following:
- A brief resume including contact details for 2 referees (one of whom should be your current supervisor)
- A maximum 2 page written response outlining your suitability for the role referring to the key capabilities under the ‘How you will be assessed' section in the attached role description.
Applications remain current for 12 months from the closing date and may be considered for appointment to identical or similar vacancies within the Department. Applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted.