Located in Coomera on the Gold Coast, a new school is opening in 2022, and is seeking applications from teacher aides interested in working in a special school environment with students who have complex needs. The role of the Teacher Aide at our special school will be to work collaboratively with teachers to develop and implement strategies to allow students to access the Australian Curriculum across all Key Learning Areas, whilst providing a safe and stimulating educational environment. In a typical classroom, teacher aides will be expected to support students in one-on-one or small group activities, sometimes leading the instruction in these situations, particularly in the area of literacy. They will also support the teacher by assisting with behaviour management as well as the general day to day operations or logistical needs of the classroom. Apply now to become a foundation staff member of this new state special school!
Position status Permanent
Position type Part-time
Occupational group Education & Training
Classification TAOO2, TAOO3, TAOO4
Workplace Location Gold Coast
Job ad reference QLD/SER386916/21P
Closing date 27-Sep-2021
Yearly salary $35152 - $37658
Fortnightly salary $1347.37 - $1443.43
Contact person Jo Hindmarch
Contact details 0460 006 991
Access the National Relay Service
Please note there are 12 positions available for 25 hours per week (65.79FTE).
About the School:
- A new state special school in the growing area of Coomera will open for Prep to Year 12 students for 2022.
- A culture of high expectations with a strong belief that every student can learn when provided with a dynamic and fun learning environment that supports the individual needs of all students
- Comprehensive Literacy, Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC), and Positive Behaviour for Learning (PBL) will be signature pedagogies used to enact the Australian Curriculum
- Intentional collaborative practices, data-based decision making and feedback will be the way of working for all staff
- Strong commitment to family and community engagement will be a key focus of the school
About the Role:
As the Teacher Aide you will have responsibility for the following:
- Assisting teachers and students with sporting activities and with school excursions.
- Assisting with the management and stocktaking of equipment and resources.
- Communicating effectively and displaying high level of interpersonal skills to function as an effective team member.
- Maintaining anecdotal records on students for use in reviewing student's development.
- Displaying respect and empathy for students with high level needs.
- Displaying confidentiality, tact, reliability and sensitively to students and their families.
- The compiling and supervising of class rolls.
- Clerical assistance duties including typing teachers' notes and work programs, duplicating and photocopying teaching materials, checking bus lists, collation and duplication of exam papers, recording of examination results, compiling students results records, assisting in organising off site activities etc.
- Assisting in the supervision of education activities, under the direction of a teacher.
- Assisting in preparing, storing, making available and clearing away teaching equipment and materials.
- Assisting teaching staff with playground and bus supervision.
- Collecting money from students for various school activities as required.
- Contributing to the welfare, health and safety of students including the delivery of first aid. Where the teacher aide is required to administer first aid, the teacher aide would be required to be formally trained in the administration of first aid, and keep such qualifications current. All costs associated with obtaining and maintaining qualifications would be met from school funds.
Please view the Role Description for a full list of responsibilities.
If you are interested in being part of a high performing team that believes that working effectively together to create a fun and engaging learning environment is crucial for supporting student success, then please apply as per the instructions below.
When working in regulated employment an employee must have a current Working with Children Clearance (blue card) issued by Blue Card Services.
To apply please attach the following:
- A brief resume (maximum 3 pages) including contact details for 2 referees (one of whom should be your current supervisor)
- A maximum 2 page written response outlining your suitability for the role referring to the key capabilities under the ‘How you will be assessed' section in the attached role description.
Applications remain current for 12 months from the closing date and may be considered for appointment to identical or similar vacancies within the Department. Applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted.