- Modern, dynamic and contemporary working environment
- Three Year Opportunity (Level 5)
- Six weeks annual leave
Palmerston is a young, vibrant city with a fast-growing future. Located 20 km from the Territory’s capital Darwin, Palmerston is a diverse community with many young people and families, Defence personnel and seniors all calling the city home. The CBD is a growing hub for local businesses and provides a range of services and meeting places for the community. Palmerston boasts approximately 40,000 residents and is currently undergoing a significant period of infrastructure growth and development. With a strategic plan in place for the region’s future growth, City of Palmerston continues to be the Territory’s fastest growing city and holds the vision of creating ‘A Place for People’.
About the Opportunity
This position is located within the fast-paced environment of the Office of the CEO and reports directly to the CEO. The position provides matrixed leadership responsibility to a team of Executive Assistants and administration support staff. It requires a person who is experienced, calm, flexible, well organised, and able to work under pressure and is available after hours as required.
The Executive Assistant Chief Executive Officer provides the CEO with a broad range of executive, secretarial and administrative support, in a dynamic and often politically sensitive environment. You will promote Council's corporate image and take decisive action to facilitate the optimal use of the CEO’s time, to support the achievement of Council’s Community Plan outcomes. You will be required to take a dynamic approach to administration, ensuring high quality, accurate and timely delivery of all facets of your work.
Key responsibilities include, but, not limited to:
- Always ensure a professional and efficient approach to the management of services to the CEO.
- Provide high level secretarial and administrative support including scheduling meetings and appointments, processing all correspondence, maintaining records, making travel arrangements, initiating follow-up action to ensure deadlines are met, handling telephone enquiries and visitors, and compiling and distributing meeting papers.
- Act as the primary contact point ensuring an effective liaison between the Elected Members, Executive Leadership Team, the community, and the wider organisation.
- Carry out projects, research issues and provide other assistance to the CEO and the Executive Unit. Ensure that the CEO is prepared with all relevant and required documentation prior to attending appointments.
- Prepare and review high level communication and reports ensuring timeliness and accuracy, whilst monitoring follow up actions.
- Work with appropriate staff to coordinate, draft and brief on responses to enquiries.
- Assist with the research, collation and presentation of information including financial reports.
- Display a high degree of discretion, confidentiality, initiative, and adaptability while prioritising multiple tasks.
- Liaise effectively and discreetly with all levels of staff within the department, external agencies, outside organisations and Ministers’ offices.
What Council is looking for:
- Proven effective administrative and secretarial skills at the executive level, including attention to detail and the ability to be discreet, maintain a high level of confidentiality, think strategically and discern sensitive issues.
- Comprehensive knowledge at the executive level of administrative procedures, guidelines, practices, policies, and activities applicable to an office and/or local government environment.
- Demonstrated high level of effective interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills with an ability to interact effectively with people from diverse cultures.
- Demonstrated initiative including an ability to anticipate, work under pressure, independently to complete competing tasks within required timeframes.
- Enhanced organisational skills and ability to multi-task and prioritise conflicting deadlines.
- Proven ability to efficiently and accurately utilise various computer programs to produce reports, correspondence, and presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and present information with high attention to detail, accuracy and confidentiality and discern sensitive issues.
- Understanding of and ability to support the functions, responsibilities, and vision of the organisation.
- Experience in arranging and minuting meetings and functions.
Professional and empathetic nature.
- Ability to analysis information as requested, demonstrating resourcefulness and the ability to work autonomously.
- Ability to supervise, mentor and develop positive and high performing teams, as well as be part of a team and work cooperatively with senior management, staff members and peers to achieve the Council’s objectives.
- The ability and proven experience to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
To view a copy of the position description and to 'Apply' please see below
Applications Close: 9am Monday 25 January 2020
About the Benefits
This position is full-time, three year opportunity that is paid at Level 5 ($80,601 - $83,120 + Super). Council offers six weeks annual leave and a wide range of attractive employee benefits. Furthermore, City of Palmerston provides a team-oriented work environment and fosters a culture of continuous improvement and professional development.
Vacancy Description - 20201216 - EA to the CEO - P1002.pdf (589 kB)