- Modern, dynamic and contemporary working environment
- Three Year Opportunity (Level 8)
- Six weeks annual leave
Palmerston is a young, vibrant regional hub with a fast-growing future. Located 20 km from the Territory’s capital Darwin, Palmerston is a diverse community with many young families calling the city ‘home’, along with defence personnel and a range of local businesses. The young city boasts over 40,000 residents and is currently undergoing a significant period of infrastructure growth and development. With a strong plan in place for the region’s future growth, the City of Palmerston proves to be a "Place for People".
About the Opportunity
This exciting and newly created opportunity will lead the Community Services Team in the effective delivery of Community Services through engagement and promotional activities within the Community. The Community Services Lead oversees the Community Development team.
Working with the Executive Manager Community and Library Services (EMCLS), the Community Services Lead is responsible for the daily supervision of the Community Development team that contribute to the delivery of the City of Palmerston Community Plan including the following:
- Community Development Activities and Projects
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Community Facilities Management and Activation
- Community Development Grants
- Community Events and Programs
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Effectively manage the daily operations of the Community Services team by proving leadership and support to staff to deliver community services.
- Prepare and deliver community engagement programs to promote Palmerston being “A Place for People”.
- Provide advice and recommendations to the EMCLS on team planning and initiatives.
- Collate data for the purpose of statistical reporting and evaluation.
- Prepare plans, policies and reports for consideration by Council or other committees as required.
- Contribute to the strategic planning processes for the Community Services team.
- Provide advice to Council as necessary, including reporting, financial management of the Community Services budget, and preparation of annual budgets.
- Ensure staff are accountable to key performance requirements and provide a framework for accountability and achievement.
- Manage projects, including the coordination of consultants and other stakeholders to deliver complex and multi-disciplinary outcomes.
- Research and keep abreast of modern and contemporary community service delivery practices and identify efficiencies to improve service delivery.
- Develop leadership that successfully manages change while engaging and developing staff.
- Develop strong interdepartmental relationships within Council.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, applicants will have:
- Relevant tertiary qualification and/or extensive experience in Community Development.
- Ability to lead, supervise and develop a Community Services team including allocating work tasks, meeting required work health safety and applicable legislation, identifying training and development requirements and manage work performance.
- Ability to interpret, adhere to, follow, and regulate relevant Council legislation and policies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to liaise with a wide cross section of people and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to plan strategically, implement best practice policies, systems and standards.
- Proven ability to develop high quality corporate documentation, including project briefs, complex reports, minutes and agendas.
- Demonstrated strong organisational and event coordination skills.
- High level of competency in the use of information technology systems and applications.
- Comprehensive knowledge of contemporary issues and initiatives in relation to the delivery of community services and the ability to be self-motivated and an original, independent and lateral thinker.
To view a copy of the position description and to 'Apply' please see below.
Applications Close: 5pm 15 January 2021
About the Benefits
This position is full-time, 3 year opportunity classified as Level 8 ($103,434 - $108,470) as per City of Palmerston Enterprise Agreement 2020. Council offers six weeks annual leave and a wide range of attractive employee benefits. Furthermore, City of Palmerston provides a team-oriented work environment and fosters a culture of continuous improvement and professional development.
Vacancy Description - 20201204 - Community Services Lead - P3007.pdf (73 kB)